A very wise man once said to me that the mark of a gentleman is the ability to tie a bow tie. He then taught me how and that began a lifelong love affair with this natty piece of knotted silk!
Here are some instructions on how to tie one.
- Loop the bow tie under and around your collar. I find it easier to tie with your collar folded down. The left side should be a few inches longer than the right. Basically, the same way that you would with a necktie.
- Loop the long end around the short end like the first step in tying a shoe and pull it tight.
- Bring the short end up, lay it across your collar, and fold it into the shape of a bow.
- Wrap the long end around the center of the short end and allow the long tail to dangle down.
- Now, bring up the long end, fold it in half at the widest point and stuff this fold through the loop in the center of the bow and toward the single side of the bottom bow.
- Pull the bottom of both loops in opposing directions away from the center to tighten, straighten the bow, and you’re done!
Alternate ending step:
Steps 1), 2), 3) & 4) remain the same.
- Take the tail of the long end and stuff it through the loop in the center and toward
the folded end of the bottom bow.
- Pull the bottom of both loops in opposing directions away from the center to
tighten, straighten the bow, and you’re done!